Thursday, February 5, 2009

How Baby Bear came to be

Seems I jumped the gun and forgot to actually tell the story of how we got to be 13 weeks and 2 days pregnant. Not sure where to start so I will just start at the beginning, its always the best place to start :-)

After much deliberation we decided that we wanted to have children and that the time was as right as it was ever going to get so we set about the task at hand. (This was beginning of November) Since the process of conception is not as clear cut as most of us would like we tried not to set our hopes too high. We knew it might take a while to get a positive result and as such we prepared for that reality. However mother nature had other plans in store.

Friday 5 December 2008 and I was a couple of days late. I decided that we should buy a home pregnancy test just to make sure. I didn't want to get my hopes up so I really tried to keep my excitement to a minimum during the day. I decided I would take the test Saturday morning as tat is when I would have the highest concentration of hormones. Needless to say I couldn't sleep that Friday night and by 2:15am I was wide awake and in desperate need of the loo. I decided that since I needed to go anyway I would just do the test at the same time. after doing what needed to be done I put the test on the back of the toilet and tried not to look until the max time had elapsed. After the allotted 5 min I was nervous but I needed to know. Well to my astonishment it was positive. There were two bright pink lines staring back at me, I suddenly felt elated, scared, nervous, overjoyed all at the same time. I ran to the bedroom and woke daddy to be to tell him the great news. It took a while for him to register what I was saying but once he realised what I had said he was just as excited. I battled to get back to sleep and couldn't wait to tell the family. Saturday morning I woke and told my mom the great news. She was so overjoyed and immediately wanted to go shopping for baby stuff. I had to rein her in on that idea but promised if all was still well after the 3 month mark that she could go wild.
Sunday we went to the in-laws and shared our news with them. They have been waiting to receive this news for many years and they were thrilled.

Once the new week arrived I made and appointment with my GP and confirmed my result and started on my prenatal vitamins. It still didn't feel real, I felt like I was in a dream. The weeks passed and slowly the nausea set in at around week 7 and my energy levels decreased dramatically. At week 11 we went for out first visit to the gynae and got to see our little bean for the first time. He/she was moving around so much and we could see little hands and feet and the heartbeat was just amazing. Baby bear was measuring 4.34cm and was right on track. We left the Dr's office feeling on top of the world. We had finally seen our baby and it wasn't just a dream but rather a reality. I still look at the scan pictures everyday to remind myself of the life growing inside of me. Baby Bear gives me quite a few reminds daily that he/she is still there but all the discomfort will be worth it in the end when we have our precise baby in our arms.

2 comments:

Terence said...

This is the best thing that has ever happened to us. You have written this experience so well. I love you

Illana said...

Aw! That's such a beautiful story!