Tuesday, September 15, 2009

6 Week check up

Busy busy busy!! I just seem to be running around like a headless chicken lately. I have been inundated with appointments and social engagements and the last 2 days were no different.

Yesterday I went for my 6 week check up with the gynae. I didn’t have anyone to look after Gabe so he had to come with. I didn’t expect it to be a problem as I knew he would be asleep at the said time, well he was suppose to be. Needless to say that as I sat down in the waiting room the little tyke woke up. I tried my best to keep him occupied but he wasn’t having any of it.

After an hour of waiting I was finally called through. By this time Gabe was losing patience and quickly. The doc came in, did his examination and advised on contraception whilst in the background Gabe was screaming his lungs out. The doc kindly offered one of his rooms to me so that I could feed Gabe, but I kindly explained that he was not hungry but upset at having to sit in his car seat for so long. So the doc promptly asked whose temper he had inherited…SIGH!!! So small yet his lack of patience is already evident. It seems he likes what he likes and he knows what he wants and if he doesn’t get it, he lets you know about it!

Today was a different story as today it was Gabe’s turn to be checked out. It was his 6 week check up with the paediatrician. Upon arrival the nurse took Gabe and weighed him and measured him and he is gaining nicely and getting nice and tall. He now weighs 4.2kg and is 53cm’s long. That is a growth of 5cm’s in 6 weeks!!

Once weighed and measured the paed had a little look at him.She tested all of his reflexes, checked his tummy and did the routine check of his ears, nose and throat. My little angel passed it all with flying colours. Not a thing wrong with him.

I did ask her about Gabe’s crying sessions. He had his first one after Keagan’s party and it lasted an entire 3 HOURS!! I didn’t know what the problem was. Well after that it became a nightly habit of crying for at least an hour a night. The paed assured me that he is fine physically so the crying is normal and he is just exercising his lungs and that up to 3 hours of crying per day is absolutely normal!! She said it should ease up from 8 weeks onwards so we just have to wait it out.

No comments: