Saturday, July 4, 2009

BABY SHOWER!!!

YIPPPEEEEE!!! Today was my baby shower. I had such a great time. I hope my guests had an equally good time. We got to the coffee shop at around 12:45 and set up the decor for the party. Ma did such an awesome job with the catering. She really went all out. There was sweets and savories and she even baked a cake with a bib and booties on it. That was such a surprise as we had said we didn't need a cake.

As everyone arrived we made them fill out when they thought baby would be born.This was our baby lotto game. There was quite a debate as to what the date should be, now we wait and see who got it right. Once everyone was settled the guests then had to guess how many bibs I would get as part of the gifts. This was quite funny as people started asking around as to who bought bibs and who hadn't etc. A bunch of cheaters in my family, I tell you :-D Then the guests had to cut a piece of string to a length they thought would fit around my tummy. Watching the guests try to judge that was also quite a comedy show!!

Once all that had been done, I began opening the gifts. Wow, we got so so much!!! My little man was truly spoilt. He doesn't even realise that all the fuss was for him but I am sure he will be very grateful when he is wrapped nice and warm in all his new clothes and blankets etc. We really were very blessed. There is not much that I need to buy as I got most of the stuff I asked for.
After opening the gifts we counted the bibs and there were 12 of them. That made Melanie and Mannie the winners of the bib guessing game!! I wasn't expecting to get so many so that was a nice surprise for me as well.
Then I had all the ladies try their string around my belly. Well it seems I must look like a baby elephant from the lengths of string some of the ladies cut, but we had such a laugh as each lady came to try their particular piece to see if the fit was right. It got down to two people but it was decided that Pat was the winner, but only by about 1cm. It was so so close.

The rest of the afternoon was spent eating and chatting and just having a great time. Terence then came down and helped to pack everything into the car. We almost didn't have enough space for everything :-) I am still not sure where we will put it all but I am sure we will find a place.

Just some of the food for the baby shower. Quite a bit more was put out later on


Drinks


Opening gifts


More gifts


One of the cakes Ma made


All the clothes from the baby shower


The rest of the gifts (can you say SPOILED)


All the teddies from the baby shower


During the baby shower my aunt told me that my uncle had been at the local Spar when 8 men decided to rob the shop. There was a scuffle between the manager of the shop and one of the robbers and the gun went off and the bullet hit a customer. She died on impact. My uncle was only a few meters away from her. They also robbed the bottle store and hijacked some cars in the parking lot. The scary thing is that we had been there just minutes before all this happened. I can't believe how lucky we are to not have been involved. Having said that I am also so happy that my uncle is ok. What a day!!

No comments: