So today was my beautiful boy's birthday. The day he entered the world and entered our hearts.
The day started bright and early. We had to be at the hospital between 7am and 7:30am so we were up at 5:30am getting ready and making sure we had everything we needed. I was quite nervous at this point but also pretty excited. We left home at around 6:45am and luckily traffic wasn't too bad so we arrived at the Clinton Clinic just after 7am. We went to reception and checked in and signed all the necessary documentation, then off to the maternity ward.
Once in the ward the nurse took me to my room and gave me a gown to change into. It was one of those lovely open back gowns and it felt weird wearing that with nothing else on underneath. After I had changed and gotten onto the bed, I had to fill in another load of forms and answer a whole bunch of questions and then it was time for them to insert the drip. The nurse had difficulty setting the drip up and by the time she was finished my wrist was throbbing. I have a general fear of needles so the drip was not a fun experience for me. The anaesthetist then came in to ask me a few things and to explain the spinal block to me. It didn't sound too bad and I was sure it would be ok.
Reality hadn't quite kicked in at this stage but it was slowly creeping up on me.
Now that the formalities were over with we just had to sit and wait.Whilst waiting they monitored the baby and all seemed well. His heartbeat was nice and steady, however, I cannot say the same about mine. My heart was racing with both fear and excitement!
I was sharing a room with another lady and she went in for her c-section before me, so we knew that once she was finished I would be next. At about 10:15am they came to take me to theater. It was at this point that the nerves kicked in. I was starting to get very scared. I even told Terence that I think I want to keep the baby inside. They wheeled me to the pre-op area and a nurse came to make sure I was ok and to double check a few details. At this point all I wanted to do was go to the bathroom. I wasn't sure I could hold it any longer. I was getting very anxious and feeling very stressed. Whilst I was waiting to go into theater they sent Terence to go and get dressed into his scrubs.
Not long after he had returned it was time to be wheeled into theater. I had to go in alone as they would not allow him to be with me during the spinal block and the setting up. The room was cold and there were so many people buzzing about. I was moved to the theater table and had to sit on the edge so that they could administer the spinal block. This was a moment I had been dreading for so long. The anaesthetist cleaned my back then he administered a local anaesthetic before administering the spinal block. It was not as bad as I had feared it would be but it didn't stop me from shaking from the anxiety of it all. The spinal block took effect almost immediately. Within a minute I could no longer feel my legs. It was the scariest thing I had ever experienced. I kept thinking that this is what it must feel like to be paralysed from the waist down. Not a fun experience at all.
After the spinal block I was draped and cleaned and ready for action. It was at this point that Terence was allowed in. He was very concerned about me as he could see that I was very anxious and to be honest I was scared silly. The doc started and I waited in anticipation to see if I was able to feel any pain whilst he was cutting. Luckily the spinal was indeed doing its job and that helped ease my fears slightly. Once he had gotten down to the uterus they began pushing and tugging. Terence was taking pics and I waited anxiously to hear my baby's cry. The pressure was quite intense and my entire body was being moved as the doctors pushed and pulled to get the baby out. About 10 minutes after the entire op started, my beautiful boy was born.It was 10:53 am. It felt like a bubble had popped when he came out and my entire stomach just sank.
He didn't cry at first and I was a bit worried. I remember the first words I uttered were 'Is he ok?'. I was assured that he was perfect and they showed him to me before he was whisked away to be checked by the paediatrician. Terence now left my side to be with our son but he kept looking back at me and giving me the thumbs up.I could now hear my little boy crying and that brought tears to my eyes. I was so happy to know he was gonna be A-ok! He weighed in at 2.96kg, was 48.5cm long, had a head circumference of 35cm and had an apgar score of 9. He was just perfect!!
Once the baby had been checked he was brought to me. The 3 of us sat just staring at each other in wonder and amazement whilst they stitched me back up. We couldn't believe we had made this beautiful little person. This was the little being that had been kicking me and squirming in my tummy for 9 months and he was now here in the world with us.
After all the wonder and amazement we realised we hadn't named him. We had 2 names on hand, Aaron and Gabriel, and it had been decided we would choose one when he was born. Without too much thought and going on gut instinct I told Terence that I thought he looked like a Gabriel and he said he had thought the same. Our little boy now had a name. Gabriel Michael Brown!!!
After all the hype and excitement Gabriel was placed on my bare chest and I was wheeled to recovery where we got to spend about 15 minutes alone together whilst they monitored me and whilst Terence went to change back into his clothes. I just lay staring at him as he stared back up at me. We latched him to the breast and he began drinking. It was such a special moment!!
Once the all clear was given I was taken back to the maternity ward. As I was wheeled out I saw that Terence was on the phone to my mom. She was ecstatic. Back at the ward we were left alone for a while to bond with the newest member of our family.
It was then bath time and since I could not get out of bed due to the catheter Terence had to accompany Gabriel to the nursery and have him bathed and cleaned up. Gabe came back smelling baby fresh. It was during this time that I had lunch which was so very welcome.
Later that afternoon my mom and Terence's mom came to visit. They were so excited about the new arrival. They couldn't stop holding him and touching him. It was difficult for both of them to leave.
At about 7pm I could see that Terence was exhausted. It had been a long day for us both. I told him to go home and to get some rest and something to eat. He would be back in the morning so it was ok. With daddy gone that left me and Gabe alone to bond and to get to know one another. He is truly amazing and so beautiful. I am in awe of him and I am just so so lucky to have been chosen to be his mother!!!
Grabbing the bags before we leave
One last pic of me pregnant
Waiting patiently
Monitoring baby's heartbeat
Dr Terence
First look at Baby Brown
It's a BOY!!
Getting checked out
First bath
Back in the room smelling baby fresh
Proud mommy!!
Proud daddy!!
Our family
Proud granny
Proud granny no.2
No comments:
Post a Comment